Participant registration is now closed. If you wish to sign up as an auditor, follow the instructions at the bottom of this page.
General information and Important Dates
|Application Date||September 14|
|Notification of Admission||September 21|
|Date of School||October 12-16|
|Organisers||Malik Ghallab, Michael Cashmore|
School Program and Speakers
The 2020 ICAPS Summer School will provide students with the opportunity to learn about both the foundations and recent developments in exciting research areas in AI planning and scheduling, robotics, and plan execution. It will offer two days of training labs and three days of lectures.
Detailed Program: icaps-online-summer-school-program
Lessons From Researching, Developing, and Deploying Autonomous Mobile Robots
Manuela Veloso, Head JPMorgan Chase AI Research, Professor at Carnegie Mellon University
Lectures will include Q&A sessions and cover the following topics:
- Knowledge Representation and Reasoning for Cognition-enabled Robot Manipulation
Michael Beetz University Bremen
- Probabilistic Planning
Scott Sanner University of Toronto
- Integrating planning and acting
Tim Niemueller X, The Moonshot Factory
- Learning HTN Planning Methods
Hector Munoz-Avila Lehigh University
- Task and motion planning
Fabien Lagriffoul Örebro University
- Temporal planning
Arthur Bit-Monnot INSA Toulouse, Andrea Michelli Fondazione Bruno Kessler
- Verification and Validation of Planning Domain Models
Jeremy Frank Intelligent Systems Division – NASA
- An Introduction to Numeric Planning: Representation and Search Algorithms
Alfonso Gerevini University of Brescia, Enrico Scala University of Brescia
- Plan-based Robot Control
Joachim Hertzberg University of Osnabrück, Oscar Lima & Sebastian Stock DFKI Niedersachsen Lab
- Integrated Planning and Acting using Operational Models
Dana Nau & Sunandita Patra University of Maryland
- Developments in Model-Based Reinforcement Learning
Alan Fern Oregon State University
- Planning and Plan Execution for Human-Robot Interaction Tasks
Luca Iocchi Università di Roma “La Sapienza”
Ron Petrick Herriot Watt University
- Long-term Autonomy
Nick Hawes ORI, University of Oxford
Training labs involve group exercises and interactive sessions, interspersed through
the week. Outside of the interactive sessions, a Slack channel and forum will be available to ask questions and discuss with other students. The training labs cover the following topics:
- Plan Synthesis (PS)
An introduction to planning and modelling, with domain modelling exercises. Exercises are planned to run online using planning.domains.
- Plan Execution (PE)
An introduction to the Robot Operating System and plan execution in ROS. Exercises in robotics domains with manipulation and navigation. Simluations are planned to be run online using online environment at the construct.
Virtual Summer School
The summer school will be held fully online, through tools such as Zoom.
- All lectures will be held as webinars on Zoom, with a chat channel for questions and answers, moderated by a co-host.
- Interactive sessions will be held in Zoom with breakout rooms for group exercises.
- A dedicated Slack #channel will be available for students to interact during and outside of the sessions.
- Introductory planning sessions and group exercises in domain modelling make use of tools such as planning.domains.
- Group exercises and interactive sessions will take place using online planning and simulation environments.
No special software is required for attending the school.
Applicants must submit the following documents, merged into one PDF and in this order:
- Completed ICAPS Summer School application form (LINK).
- A light-weight letter describing how the applicant’s research topic is connected to the school. Maximum 1-page. The purpose of the letter is for the school chairs to be able to confirm, at a high level, that the school content is in principle suited to your background.
Participant registration is now closed. If you wish to register as an auditor instead, this means:
- You will be given a link to access the online lectures.
- Once the lectures begin you will be given access to the school #slack channel for Q&A.
Auditors will not have access to the interactive lab sessions, or advance access to the lab material and #slack channel.
To register as an auditor, please fill in the form: https://forms.gle/5vPhed3QXUn1msED9